Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Nice First Day!

We enjoyed being together as a class today.  I think we are off to a good start.  If you have any questions, please feel free to call or email me.

Group Meeting:  I read the nursery rhyme "The Three Little Kittens".  To refresh your memory, it's about 3 kittens that have lost their mittens.  I told the children that perhaps they should have put their names on their mittens.  Then they would be easily found.  At preschool, we need to put names on our belongings, art work, and papers so that they don't get lost.  I told them that if they couldn't print their names yet, that we would help them.  We also talked about putting things in cubbies right away so that they wouldn't get lost.

Story:  We read the story Love is a Family.  In this story, a little girl is worried about taking her mother to the Family Fun Night at school because she thinks it's unusual to have just a mom in her family.  However, when she gets to school, she finds that there are many kinds of families.  Some like hers and others that are different.  Some of the children shared how many people are in their family.

Large Group:  Zoey and Matt are two puppet friends that I use to teach the children procedures at school.  Today, they helped us learn about sitting on the rug.  Zoey and Matt told the children that they needed to find one leaf to sit on and to stay in that spot until the activity was over. We also learned about the calendar and weather chart.  We will use the calendar to keep track of our days and special events at school.  I do not use it to teach the days of the week or time.  Time concepts are difficult for many 4 year old children to comprehend. 

We learned an active song called "Bounce Around" which involves lots of gross motor skills.

Snacks:  Our snack for today was Teddy Grahams and apple juice. 

Your child learned a lot today.  We introduce our routine and procedures slowly.  We don't want to overwhelm them all at once.  I thought it was a great day!