Monday, January 13, 2014

Do all balls roll?

Group Meeting:  Most of the balls that have been brought to school are round.  I asked the children to tell me what would happen if we put the ball on the table.  They answered that it would roll off.  I showed the children how we could use rolling balls to paint.  I put a piece of paper in the bottom of a paint tray.  Using small bottles of paint, I squirted small drops of paint onto the paper.  Then I added marbles.  I moved the tray around to get the marbles to roll into the paint and create a picture.  At center time, the children could select that activity at the art table.

Story:  Our story today was Stop That Ball!  In this story, a boy hits a ball out of his yard.  The ball rolls down the street and into a manhole.  A worker in the hole throws the ball out causing it to bounce into the back of a dump truck.  The truck dumps sand and the ball into the construction yard.  The ball rolls onto the construction elevator.  Throughout the story, the ball keeps rolling, bouncing, and moving while the boy tries to get it back.  Ask your child to tell you how the ball gets back into the boy's yard.

Small Group:  We played a guessing game with three jars that had balls in them.  The children had to guess which jar looked like it had the most balls in it.  Then we counted them to see if they were correct.  We also guessed which jar had the least amount of balls in it.  The word "least" was a little more challenging for the children. 

Large Group: The children sorted their collection of balls into categories. We sorted them by size, shape, and texture. If your child has not brought a ball to school yet, we would like them to do so.

Snacks:  The morning class had graham crackers and juice brought by Mason.  The afternoon class had bread/pretzel sticks with dipping cheese and juice brought by Lana.  Thank you!