Monday, April 28, 2014

Salsa!

Group Meeting:  This week, we will be talking about music that we make with our voices.  I held up a rubber band and ask the children to pluck it.  I asked them to see if they could tell how the rubber band was making noise.  They said that it was moving up and down very fast.  It was vibrating.  I told them about the vocal chords in their throat.  They held their throat while we sang "Mary Had a Little Lamb".  They could feel the vibrations in their throat.  

Story:  I read  My Name is Celia, which I read last Monday as well.  This is the story of the Queen of Salsa, Celia Cruz.  Following the story, we looked at YouTube videos of Celia Cruz singing and dancing.  Celia passed away in 2003, but her music lives on.  The salsa music made everyone want to wiggle and dance.

Small Group:  The children learned a rhyming words song today called "A Hunting We Will Go".  The children had to think of an animal that we could catch and put into something that would rhyme with the animal name such as bat in a hat, snake in a cake, duck in a truck.  Ask your child to sing it for you.

Large Group:  I had planned for the children to watch a video on salsa dancing, but we ran out of time.  Hopefully, we can squeeze it in tomorrow!

Snacks:  The morning class had Rice Krispie treats and juice brought by Carter.  The afternoon class had granola bars and juice brought by Gavin.  Thank you!