Wednesday, April 2, 2014

What can we use to make music?

Group Meeting:  We have added several new things to the art table lately, so I took a few minutes to show them to the children.  It always amazes me at how the children can come up with such creative things to do with the items that we have.  They think of things to do that I would have never thought of.  It's always interesting.

Story:  Today, I read Chrysanthemum.  This is the story of a little girl mouse who is adored by her parents.   They give her the name Chrysanthemum because they feel it is special like her.  However, when she gets to school, the other girls tease her because her name is long and is the name of a flower.  Chrysanthemum no longer thinks her name is special and wishes to change her name.  Then, she meets the school music teacher.  Her music teacher thinks her name is wonderful.  Ask your child to tell you why.  (Hint:  Delphinium)

Small Group:  I gave the children a collection of farm animals and asked them to help me think of ways that we could put them into groups.  We sorted them by color, how many legs they had, if they had horns, adult animals/baby animals, etc.  It was interesting when someone said that we should sort them by ears and no ears.  I had to explain that ducks, chickens and turkeys have ears-you just can't see them :)

Large Group:  I brought a basket of household items to the group and asked the children if any of the items were musical instruments.  Most of the children said no, but a few said that they could be made into musical instruments.  The keys would jingle if shaken.  The rubber bands could be strummed if stretched across the basket.  The wooden spoon could be drum stick.  I told the children to find something at home that could be a musical instrument and to tell me about it tomorrow.

Snacks:  The morning class had peanut butter crackers and juice brought by Addison.  The afternoon class had Rice Krispie treats and juice brought by Noah.  Thank you!

Show and Tell tomorrow!