Group Meeting: We talked about feelings today. I showed the children pictures of faces that were smiling, crying, angry, surprised, worried, and sleepy. I explained to the children that at preschool, our friends might not tell us what they are feeling, but we can tell what they are feeling by the look on their faces. At this age, some children do not notice when others feel differently than they do. Helping children to notice others makes it easier for them to react and to develop friendships.
Story: Interrupting Chicken is the story of a little chicken who is getting ready for bed. She asks her Papa to read a story to her before she goes to sleep. However, she gets so excited by the story, that she interrupts her papa before he can finish. This happens several times. Finally, Papa gives up and asks the little chicken to tell him a story. Ask your child to tell you what happens next.
I use this story to talk to the children about good manners at circle time. It is polite to wait until it is your turn to talk. So, I warned the children that we might have a few "interrupting chickens" until we learn to wait for a turn :)
Large Group: We have been learning about lines and curves. Today, we did the Hokey Pokey using the wooden lines and curves. That's what it's all about!
We also learned a finger play about an armadillo. Before I taught them the words, I wanted to show them an armadillo since they are not native to our area. I used my ipad to show a short video. Then we learned "Two plump armadillos, crawling down the street. One named Pedro, the other named Pete. Crawl away Pedro, crawl away Pete. Come back Pedro, come back Pete. Ask your child to show you the motions.
Snacks: The morning class had chex mix, bananas, and juice brought by Luca. The afternoon class had Krispie treats and juice brought by Chloe D. Thank you!