Group Meeting: We recited the nursery rhyme "Hickory, Dickory Dock". We discussed that grownups use clocks to keep track of what is happening every day. They use the clock to get us to school on time and pick us up. They use a clock to tell us when to go to bed and when to get up. I explained that we follow a schedule at school and use the clock to let us know when it's time to do the next activity. We will be making a picture schedule together this week.
Story: Jalapeno Bagels is the story of a boy, Pablo, who is to bring something from home to school to teach his classmates about his family. His family owns a bakery. His mother is Hispanic and likes to make pan dulce, chango bars and empanadas de calabaza. His father is Jewish and likes to make bagels and challah. Together, they make jalapeno bagels which represents both parts of his family. I'm not sure the children understood everything about this story, but it was a good way to introduce some new words and ideas.
Small Group: Our activity was a bean bag toss. The children took turns throwing bean bags with the goal being to get them into a bucket. I used this activity to introduce and emphasis the positional words of in, next to, behind, in front of, and beside.
Large Group: I drew a picture of Mat Man on the chalkboard, but left off some of his body parts. The children took turns drawing on what I had forgotten. Then, we introduced them to their workbooks. The Handwriting Without Tears workbooks are used to give the children an introduction to drawing, coloring, and printing. The page we did today was completing a picture of Mat Man.
Snacks: The morning class had Go-gurt and juice brought by Parker. The afternoon class had crackers, strawberries and milk brought by Campbell. Thank you!